KCP Summer Students Visit Yamanashi

Facts on Working as a Student and Career Opportunities in Japan

There are many opportunities for KCP students and graduates in Japan and knowledge of the Japanese language has proven to be a plus factor in overall growth.

KCP students group picture on an excursion.

KCP Graduates as JET Teachers

KCP graduates work in Japan through the Japan and Exchange Teaching (JET) Programme. JET aims to promote grass-roots internationalisation at the local level. The programme encourages young college graduates from from all around the world to participate in internationalisation initiatives and be involved in foreign language education at Japan’s local government offices, Boards of Education, elementary schools, junior high schools, and senior high schools.

With the strong working command of Japanese you will gain after study in Tokyo with KCP, your career options are wide open!

KCP students in Kamakura Japan

Facts on working in Japan as a student

  • As a student in Japan, you can work as much as 28 hours a week.
  • If you are no longer a student, your work permit will no longer be valid.
  • A student visa does not qualify you to work in Japan. Students who intent to work nee to apply for “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted in status of residence previously granted,” or a work permit. You can apply for a permit before coming to Japan by filling out a form and giving it to the immigration officer at the airport upon arriving in the country. If you already have a residence card but have not yet received your work permit, you can apply within the country by filling out a more detailed form and proceed to go to the immigration office.

KCP students group picture on an excursion.

  • If you apply for a work permit once you are already in Japan, it may take up to a month before you are issued one.
  • Once approved for a work permit, you will get a stamp at the bottom space of the back of your zairyu, or Japanese residence and will also receive a sticker in your passport.
  • Students can apply for almost any kind of job except the ones related to adult entertainment (i.e. bars (restaurants that serve alcohol are okay), hostess bars or host clubs, video game arcades, pachinko parlors, love hotels, adult goods or video stores, massage parlors and anything related to the sex trade

Opportunities await! Check-out KCP student testimonials here. Visit our Flickr page for KCP student activities and more, here.